Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Performing a CLA (yourself) on Nikon ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Performing a CLA (yourself) on Nikon lenses... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CJ

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I have a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 given to me by a good friend who no longer shoots film. The lens has a small amount of particles/fungus inside, and while it's not terrible, I'm wondering if an average Joe like me can disassemble and clean the elements.

I've cleaned the fungus off the inside front of a 80-200mm Kalimar, but it was just the frontmost element, and the lens itself was a $6 impulse buy. I'm not sure I'm confident enough to try the same (and more) with my fastest lens, which I cherish.

Also--part of the reason for this query is that I vaguely recall reading Rick's mentioning some sort of 'alignment' issue re: reassembling lenses. Can anybody clarify this? Or did I just misunderstand something?

-CJ

Ed

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you tell, by looking, if the fungus is on the inside of the front or rear element. There is a front element group and a rear element group--if the fungus is on the inside of either of these, as opposed to between the elements, it is a much easier job.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The easiest way to 'see' where the fungus/damage is located is to use a stereo microscope. You are thus able to focus not only on the fungus, but the individual element surfaces.

Starting on the front surface you can focus down through the lens. If you do this slowly, you can easily detect each glass/air interface and thus where the fungus is located.

With the right set up it is possible to do this with a set of macro bellows and a slr - well I can use my two Canon Photo Macro Lenses ( 20mm and 35mm) and get the same results as my stereo Wild.

CJ

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ed and Glenn--

The particles of fungi that I noticed appear to be on the second element from the front. I didn't see any bad stuff on the rear elements when viewed from the rear element.

So my hypothesis is to disassemble from the objective element inwards, cleaning as I go. Regarding reassembly: are there any alignment factors, or anything else I should be aware of?

-CJ

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CJ,

Sorry I cannot give you any information on the Nikkor range of lenses, I was a young recruit to the Canon fold. However I have not come across any specific alignment issues on the various makes of 'standard' lenses that I have worked on. What has been noted in the various repair manuals, is the fact that some lens groups are matched on assembly. You therefore cannot just replace one scratched element - the whole cell/group must be replaced with another matched set. As you are not doing this I do not think you will have a problem, just look out for shims sitting in the recess. I have missed the odd one before now, it fell out as I cleaned the interior of the barrel. Fortunately in my case it would only fit in one location.

Glenn.

rick

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does this help?:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-102.html

most Nikkors are built similarly: you can pull the entire lens out of the focusing mount in one piece, and then remove the front and/or rear cell from the barrel. This will expose the center element surfaces that face the diaphragm; to get to any other surfaces you will have to remove individual elements from the cells.

apart from making sure the little linkage thingies are lined up correctly, reassembly into the outer shell is prety much a matter of dropping the lens back in and reattaching the front ring.

CJ

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick,

Awesome. Thank you for creating that diagram!

And Glenn, thank you for your advice. I'm glad you noted that certain lenses have matched elements: That'll probably save me (and anyone searching the forum posts in the future) a lot of grief at some point.

-CJ

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration