Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35 RD - Jammed aperture ring? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Olympus 35 RD - Jammed aperture ring? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ignacio

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 03:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everybody,

after managing to successfully disassemble an Oly 35 RD, clean the blades and reassemble everything again, I have encountered some weird problem: Suddenly the aperture ring does move only by applying force. I have left it now in the "A" position, as the camera meters perfectly and anything else works smoothly but I would rather like to haver her fully finctionally. Does anybody have an idea what to do in this case?

Thank you and best regards,

Ignacio

WernerJB

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 06:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beyond the "A" position there is a flash symbol, indicating a built-in automatic aperture forming in the flash mode dependent on the distance. Is this feature also fully operational? If the camera's aperture ring was in full working order before your cleaning it you may have reassembled it the wrong way (which also happened to me with my first RD).
Also only one wrongly working or unhooked spring on (or, to be more precise, behind) the front plate will lead to malfunction.

ignacio

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Werner,
thank you for your answer. I haven't checked yet the flash operation. Yes, most probably I have reassebled it wrongly. I do not think though, that the spring is not working. When I manage to set the aperture it seems to work. However it is very difficult to turn the ring. Geeeezzz. Okay. will have to open her again :-)

Thanks and regards,
Ignacio

Henry

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hang on Ignacio...you don't have to disassemble the front of the lens again. The aperture mechanism is behind the lens mount plate, a much easier job.

Contact me privately if you need a couple photos of the lens mount plate removed.

Henry

igancio

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 12:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Henry, thanks for clarifying. No, I was not going to disassemble the lens again :-) . As you said: Just the lens mount plate. However I wonder if I will find the solution there. I already had the problem with theaperture ring when the lens mount plate was not attached to the camera. Even then the ring was barely movable.

Thanks everybody,
Ignacio

David Gaon

Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 07:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Ignacio, Henry, all
This is my firstposting, so I am not quite clear how to go about it.

I have an RD with the same problem - a stiff aperture ring - appears camera was dropped on lens filter ring but lens housing not out of alignment from body. Works fine on A but does not move to manual aperture settings.

Don't want to start repairs blind, so any hints and procedure on disassembling the lens to get to the shutter and aperture ring will be greatly appreciated

Cheers
David Gaon

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration