Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Minister 700 - lens damaged Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Yashica Minister 700 - lens damaged « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

WernerJB

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 07:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got a Y Minister 700 off ebay which must previously have been in the hands of a very unskilled repairperson. The camera is defective in many ways, but the main thing is that on one of the elements of the front group glass parts have splintered off. Does anybody know if other 1,7 Yashica lenses of the same focal length can be salvaged for parts? Has anybody got a junker?
Answers or help is very much appreciated, W.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

WernerJB

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well then, problem solved!
What I considered to be a damaged lens first was in fact separation of two elements in the front lens half. Sometimes it is very difficult to unscrew those front lens assemblies as a whole, as was the case with this camera. This time I even had to drill two 1.5mm holes for the spanner wrench after only the front glass came out at first. (I once saw this in some Canon tinkerer's repair tips, unfortunately I do not remember the link, sorry.) Obviously someone had previously but tried in vain to dismantle the lens and most probably tried to intensify his efforts heating up the whole thing which after all had caused lenses to fall apart. Everything looked pretty bad and hopeless.
After studying several astronomists' repair tips for telescopic lenses, I decided to get myself the glue they recommended: Canada balsam (from [email protected] or [email protected] resp., not too cheap, but helpful people, quick and articles of superior quality).
I now know that at least cases like this, recementing is pretty easy, just one drop of Canada balsam is enough on the absolutely clean lens surfaces (acetone makes them squeaky clean), pressure on the uppermost lens will cause the balsam to spread between the glasses to be glued together. Then you have to keep them in that position for a few days until the balsam has hardened, and that is it.
Otherwise the camera is in good condition, even the the RF would be usable as it is but will of course be cleaned.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration