Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet GIII QL17 repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canonet GIII QL17 repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Sacca

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canonet GIII QL17 that belonged to my father which is need of repair. The wind lock is not working, and the foam lightprofoing strips have disintegrated.

Though I have tinkered with cameras and mechanical things, I do not want to practice on this particular camera. Are there any suggestions as to where I could send it to be repaired? I am located in the Northeast, Vermont to be exact.

Many thanks.

Michael

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Michael,

I cannot recommend anybody in your neck of the woods, but can offer the following suggestions:

You say the 'wind lock' is not working. Try setting the aperture dial OFF Auto (A), close the back door, wind the camera and fire the shutter. After closing the door the camera will wind three times and stop - this is a pre-wind function when loading film.

The Canonet will block the shutter release when set to Auto when there is insuficient light; it will also block the release if there is no battery in the camera and the aperture is set to A. In other words - set the camera for a fully manual operation and see if the shutter fires. Maybe all you need is a new battery to make the camera fully operational. The battery only powers the light meter and the camera should work in a manual mode even without one.

As to the foam, that is quite easy to change. Do an eBay search for a user name interslice . John Goodman frequents this site as well and supplies a great re-foaming kit for the Canonet. The kit will come with full instructions. Here is a link to one of John's auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7601123151

Good luck,

Jan

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, help with the seals is available right on this site! Click on this link:

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/sealreplacement.html

Good luck,

Jan

Michael Sacca

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 05:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

---Jan Dvorak wrote---The Canonet will block the shutter release when set to Auto when there is insuficient light; it will also block the release if there is no battery in the camera and the aperture is set to A. In other words - set the camera for a fully manual operation and see if the shutter fires. ---end of quote---

Thanks for the note Jan. The shutter fires in the manual mode. When I load a dummy role of film, I can wind the entire roll along without firing the shutter- the wind lock isn't performing. I assume it is a matter of getting to the area just under the plate on the front of the camera and reworking the linkage...

Michael

WernerJB

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 05:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe you can fix this yourself, like many others did. If I were you I would try Rick Oleson's excellent repair tips (my Canonets were DOA, one of the lenses contaminated with fungus, but with the help of those sketch drawings it was almost a cinch to bring them back to life, including alignment of the shutter release lock): http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-30.html.
Hope this helps solve your problem, W.

JohnK

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

rangefinderfourm.com look up greyhoundman he's in Ohio and know these cameras inside and out

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration