Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Stuck lens cells Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Stuck lens cells « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Kovacs

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone have any tricks for removing stuck lens cells from leaf shutters? I have a Vito II I'm working on with the middle/rear elements stuck on tight, and no spanner slots or holes provided.

I ordered one of the copper beryllium wrenches from microtools, but are there any other tricks people have used?

My dishwashing gloves have a lot of grip but won't work. Rubber band slips. Would prefer not to use pliers for fear of distorting the brass, espeically on the middle (helical) cell.

Mike Kovacs

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PS - reading the archives, it appears people have had a hard time starting with the camera.

To make it clear, I have the shutter out, and the front focusing cell free. Its the first folder I've seen WITHOUT set screws holding the focus ring on. Once you loosen this, the namering falls out and the focus scale (adjustable) is removed with three screws. (will have to be placed back with infinity in the correct spot)

c.d.ewen

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 09:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the lens & camera you're working on, but I regularly play with 100-year-old lenses that have never been disassembled, so I have a couple of suggestions:

The Flexi-Clamps from Micro-Tools are good tools. Get some rubber hose from an auto parts store, slit it lengthwise and put it over the handles to protect your hands. You can crimp some hose clamps to fit the Flexi-Clamps; run them up the handle, so you don't have to try to squeeze and turn at the same time.

Micro-Tools sometimes lists a nice small strap wrench that can solve some problems. Take care not to put so much pressure on it that you dent the part, though.

When all else fails, take a block of wood and ream out a hole to fit the part very tightly. You can put a piece of tape around the part to protect the surface and take up any slack. Cut the block in half and put it around the part. Clamp it there with a double-screwed wood clamp, then put the wood clamp into a bench vise. Now, you've got the part immobilized, and have two free hands to turn the opposing part.

Good luck.

Charley

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration