Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rollei XF 35 shutter not firing Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Rollei XF 35 shutter not firing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Having trouble with a Rollei XF 35. When the shutter is pressed, it appears to "click", and the film advance lever can then be wound on like normal, but looking down the lens or through the lens with the back open the shutter doesn't appear to be opening. Any idea's where to start? Any advice appreciated. Mike.

P.S. new batteries, meter responding.

Reiner

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The battery is not essential for the basic shutter function only for correct exposure. I would expect that the shutter blades of your XF are gummed up. The Rollei 35 XF has the shutter blades behind the lens. That makes it very easy to give drops of lighter fluid or isopropylene onto the shutter blades. Repeat the action with the wet blades. With some chance they might come free. If you see dirt on the baldes gently clean it up with Q-Tipps. Hope it works.

Mike

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 03:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Reiner, your suggestion worked well. Reluctantly at first, the blades loosened up and now fire properly. Next problem I found is that the shutter doesn't stay open on B setting, it just opens and closes like it does on A setting. Any ideas? More Ronsonol? I have to take the top off anyway as the hotshoe doesn't fire the flash, so maybe I'll have a look inside.

Reiner

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mike, sorry that I did not come back sooner. I have been very busy. I suspect that the B setting does not work because the shutter is still sticky. This might be harder to cure but I would propose to continue the Rosonol way more intense. I fear a lock or something like that is sticky and has to come free. The B setting is locked and propably it does not unlock.

Under the top you will not find the clue for this issue. Propably the sync wire was/is detached. It is also a good opportunity to clean the finder if it should be hazy. Note: when focussing only the front lens of the finder is moving. There is no pivoting mirror. This is very particular to this camera. The focussing is done via the sliding finder front lens and a horizotal parallax compensation too. This is a rare feature in this class of cameras.

Mike

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Reiner. The flash problem was "finger trouble", it fires ok when taken off A and onto one of the guide numbers. I may well live with the B function not working, but I'll try a few more tries with the Ronsonol. Thanks very much for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

Reiner

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,

after cleaning the shutter with Rosonol it is mostly necessary to clean the rear surface of the the rear lens. Therefore it would be nice to have the B setting in working condition.

Mike

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Reiner,
Yes, didn't think of that. I'll perservere with the Ronsonol until B works. Thanks again.

Mike.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration