Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AV-1 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon AV-1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ben

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got a non-working AV-1 and AL-1 for the cost of shipping. I think that the AL-1 is pretty much a hopeless case, as nothing works on it, but I think that there might still be some life in the AV-1.

The meter works fine, and compares well with my other bodies. The self timer causes the LED to blink for 10 seconds. The shutter won't fire, though.

I borrowed the battery from my A-1, so I don't think that the battery is the issue.

What else could possibly cause the shutter to not fire?

Thanks,
Ben

Doug Wilson

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check for voltage at the first curtain release magnet (next to power winder contacts).

Ben

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't see any at the red and black wires, which, as far as I can tell, go to that magnet.

When I checked the orange and blue wires, though, which go to what appears to be a magnet on the opposite side, my meter needle jumped a little bit as the self-timer finished its countdown.

Ben

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, can anyone tell me how I need to set the dials to remove the top cover?

Thanks,
Ben

Ben

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With the shutter set to Bulb, I can consistantly read about 5 volts off of the second curtain magnet, but still none(no movement at all of the meter needle) at all off of the first curtain magnet. I'm taking all of my readings off of the circuit board that's right next to the winder electrical couplings.

I'm guessing that there's some sort of problem with the flex board under the top cover.

Just to see, though, would it be possible to apply a short jolt of power to the first curtain magnet just to see if it's good? I was probing around and hit a mechanical release by accident that causes the mirror to flip up and down and the curtains to travel across the film plane(with no gap between them).

Thanks again for any help,
Ben

Doug Wilson

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have diagnosed the problem: no voltage.

Magnet works like a "reverse electromagnet," when voltage applied (at least 5.2V), it demagnetizes releasing the lever you discovered, starting shutter cycle.

A simple jumper wire can be used if you wish (5V at the second magnet you say?...) but, like I said, you already know what the problem is.

When set to bulb, unless you keep shutter button depressed, second curtain will release immediately when you trip release lever.

Set to bulb, highest film speed before removing top cover.

Wsboyd
Tinkerer
Username: Wsboyd

Post Number: 10

Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you still have the AL-1 ?
I need a part !

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration