Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon fe meter won't turn off Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Nikon fe meter won't turn off « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JamesH

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

On my new (to me, of course!) FE there's a problem that the meter doesn't turn off when the film advance level is pushed flush to the body. It seems to do all the other things like disabling shutter release, but the meter keeps going. I've tried putting it into the M-90 setting but still the same. I'm guessing this will do bad things to the battery life...

Any ideas, or should I be looking to return/repair it?

Thanks
James

Ed

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would remove the top cover and look at the switch that the wind lever activates.

Jack

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's been a long time since I've used an FE, but I don't think the advance lever activates the meter. From what I remember, the meter activates when you press the shutter release lightly, then it times out after a preset interval. The timeout function is not dependent on the position of the advance lever. Pushing the lever in only prevents the meter from being accidentally activated, because the shutter release can't be depressed. That's what I remember, anyway....

Does the meter come on as soon as you install batteries, or not until the shutter release is pressed? Does it go off if you wait a minute or two?

JamesH

Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 01:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The manual reckons that the advance lever acts as the power switch and shutter lock as well.

Yeah the meter comes on when batteries are installed (the ones I put in yesterday morning were drained by 7pm...) and never shuts off.

Ed: my first guess would be the switch too, I'm just a bit wary of tinkering since I might have to return it.

I had a search of the forum and didn't see this anywhere else, but friend reckoned his mum had an fe (or something like it) that developed a similar problem. I'm wondering if this is a common thing...

Jack

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 12:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went back to the FE manual, and you're absolutely correct. Guess I was still thinking about the FE2 I just sold. Good luck with the problem, and sorry for the misinformation.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration