Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Sorry a truely daft Minolta XD7/XD11 ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Sorry a truely daft Minolta XD7/XD11 question and some not so daft « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

seanmckinney

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 07:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there an on off switch?
I cant see one and havent seen mention of one in the bump I have surfed so far.

Is the self timer meant to make a whirring noise during the initial cocking travel? For the remainder of the cocking travel it is more of a gear noise/feel, it whirrs as it runs down. Is this normal?
On the first few fires the self timer stuck occasionally on the run down but now moves steadily. The camera fires with about 30deg's of travel left and the shutter button is released with about 5deg's of travel remaining, there is a click in between these two events. Again is that normal?
Thanks

Henry

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is no discreet on/off switch. The shutter button is it.

Your selftimer sounds like mine. So is probably normal.

Henry

seanmckinney

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ta, so I assume the shutter button is an "on" with the camrea 'shutting down' automatically.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sean,

The concentric metal rings on the shutter release are your switch. When you put your finger on the release, the skin's moisture bridges the contact between the two rings and presto - switched on. I believe that after 30 seconds of no finger contact the camera will switch itself off.

Ingenious system, same as on my Minolta CLE. The only time I had problems with it was in the Utah desert - skin was too dry to form a contact.

Jan

Henry

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah Jan, I've had that same problem. Well, not dry hands but cold ones with gloves on. Never having to worry about leaving the camera on is nice too.

Henry

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration