Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Old screw-mount Vivitar 250/SL, shutt... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Old screw-mount Vivitar 250/SL, shutter jammed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve T.

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe not a classic, but and oldie, and I would like some hints on how to get this thing working. It looks like a good quality, screw-mount SLR body and it's in very nice cosmetic condition. Probably built by Canon or Ricoh, or one of those companies. I doubt Vivitar actually made it.

Anyway, the shutter is jammed, or if it's not actually the shutter, it's linkage or something. The shutter release button does nothing, mirror stuck in the up postion. The self-timer lever is loose and floppy, like it's not hooked up to anything inside, or perhaps something has broken inside and that's the problem. I took off the bottom plate to have a look, but I can't figure it out.

I paid all of $4.00, so if it's parts, no biggie, but I was hoping it would be a simple fix. I'm always looking for old cameras, because I think it's fun to mess with them and maybe get a really good photo with antiquated gear.

Gary

Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve,

I was once given 2 similar vintage Cosina made Vivitar 220S/L cameras for 'parts'. Both had mirrors stuck in the up position and as I recall, they could not be cocked and fired. As it turned out both cameras had mirror box springs that had either broke or had slipped off their pivot / attachment points. This may or may not be your camera's problem of course. Maybe the spring issue however, is a weak point in an otherwise good design? I do remember clearly that the leatherette on the front peeled off very easily (unlike so many other cameras) and I had to remove the front lens frame / panel to access the mirror box. I may have also taken the top and bottom plates off as well. After removing some screws and a few bits and pieces, I was able to move the mirror box sufficiently to access the springs and their pivot points. I replaced the springs and reassembled the camera without a major overhaul. Cameras worked perfectly afterwards. Be careful with delicate meter wires when you remove the various bits & pieces. Now I wish I had jotted down disassembly notes!

The all metal, all mechanical Cosinas of this vintage appear to be very well-engineered for cameras of their price points, at least in my opinion! What struck me as amazing was Cosina's very modular design and the relative ease of service access to various componants. They also feature a Copal vertical metal shutter with a reliable reputation although on the noisey side. Let's hope some other folks will have more insights on your Vivitar's malfunction.

Steve T.

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Gary.

Probably made by Cosina? I've seen their lenses, but wasn't aware they made bodies back in the day. It does look to be well-made. I will look into the mirror box spring, if I can get it disassembled that far.

I also have the self timer issue. It may not be worth fixing, I don't know. They sell dirt-cheap on ebay, even for working ones. I paid $4.00 for this one because it looks nice, and thinking it might be a simple fix. Too bad it came with an uber-cheap lens though. A 55mm 2.8! That was probably the downright cheapest available option at the time. Most seem to have a 1.9.

Gary Turner

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cosina (as well as the similar Chinon designed cameras) goes well back into the late 60's with M42 lens mounts and they both sold equivalent models under various brand names. Argus-Cosina is one variant in particular. Do some Google searches and you will find much information. That 55mm f2.8 might be a 4 element Tessar clone. Slow but probably still very good. Other Japanese 35mm SLR brands occasionally used the f2.8 standard lens as the entry level cost cutter; surprisingly some are not very common.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration