Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FL 200mm lens iris frozen wide ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon FL 200mm lens iris frozen wide open « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How can I free up the iris? Which end of the lens needs to be opened?

George Welcher

Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't worked on this particular lens, but generally you have to go in from the front. With luck, either the entire lens assembly, containing all the glass will come out in one unit, or the front focusing unit will. Otherwise each element will need to be removed and carefully stored and marked so you know the sequence they came out in, and which side is the front. Set the lens to infinity before disassembly. Take frequent measurements of critical distances, such as front to base at infinity. Document everything, so you will be able to put it together in working order. Digital cameras with some sort of macro capability are useful for documentation. You will need some tools such as lens spanner wrenches, which are described elewhere on this site. Once you've removed the glass and focus helix, you will probably just need to clean the aperature blades and linkage with a solvent like Ronsonol. Good luck Richard. Hopefully, you will hear from someone with direct experience with this lens.

George

Bill

Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do you tell if the iris is stuck? I just bought a 200mm FL lens and I cannot figure out how to tell if the Iris is working or not!
thanks Bill

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration