Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon F Photomic - needs help Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Nikon F Photomic - needs help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve T.

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shutter will not fire, self-timer non-functional. It's a chrome model, not the all-black. I doubt I can fix it myself, and it doesn't seem to be worth paying someone to fix it - they just don't seem to sell that high. Not the chrome ones anyway. It does look like a clunky camera with that huge viewfinder and all. Aesthetically disunified. :>) But from what I've read, it was THE camera in the 1960's.

Any chance a rank amateur can get it going?

I like my Pentax K2 better. It works. ;>)

M Currie

Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

check down the page a way to the question posted on a Nikkormat FTn. There I included a link to a German site that has, for download, the complete repair manual for the Nikon F in PDF format. If you're really adventurous, you might want to investigate that and see if it looks possible. Otherwise, there are still repair shops around that would probably do the job for something in the hundred dollar range if no major parts are broken. Considering that it's over 40 years old, it might just need a clean and lube.

If it's the original Photomic meter head, it's not the most practical version out there, but the F body is still a mighty nice camera. My main rig is still a Photomic FTn. You can get used to the aesthetic disunity of a machine this good.

If you decide to dispose of yours, let us know. Someone here might be interested.

Steve T.

Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks very much.

I guess I don't want to mess with it. I have a good Pentax already that I like a lot, and I planned on building a small system with that camera, adding a few lenses, etc.

I put the Nikon in the SWAP forum this morning, and added 6 pictures to show what it looks like if anyone is interested.

Thanks

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration