Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A1 black dot? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon A1 black dot? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone, I just started doing photography and my aunt let me borrow her old canon A1 its in great condition and takes great photos but the other day My dog dragged it off the table and it hit the ground pretty hard. It works fine but now there is this black dot when I look through the lens.
I tried swabbing the mirrors but it seems ot be on the upper side where i cant reach it unless its takena part. Do you think its a scratch and I shouldnt bother taking it to a pro or could it be disloged dirt? thanks

thanks

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I assume you see this when you look through viewfinder without lens attached. Screen is easily removable on A1, so take to a pro and have him drop screen and remove the piece of foam/prism packing that is lodged on top of screen. Do not do this yourself as you can easily damage the screen and frame.

If this camera has not been serviced, the foam light-seals are likely to have degraded. If you are considering using this camera a lot, get it checked out.

You should also note that any black dots/dirt you see in the viewfinder will be in the finder system and on the screen. Dirt/bits do not show up when they are on the lens or mirror. Take great care cleaning the mirror, the 'silvering' is on the upper surface and easily damaged.

John

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, i will take it to a pro then, it has not been serviced since the 70's. I was just worried it got scratched but it just fell so your probaly right and foam got disloged. Thanks again

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration