Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta X-700 Mirror Stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Minolta X-700 Mirror Stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hanaa

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the batteries died in my camera and i replaced them. now my mirror is stuck in the "up" position. i know my batteries work because my light meter is responding. i tried advancing, but nothing happens. the camera has never been "exposed" to any elements to jam the mirror. i tried playing with it to an extent, i didn't want to make the problem worse. any suggestions? (my veiwfinder is dark as well)
thank you

Hanaa

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

funny thing- i'm going to answer my own post. but obviously not for my benefit, but incase someone veiws this post to solve there own camera troubles.

i was playing with my camera... and after a while i just said screw it (i might break it, i don't know but i want my camera to work). stupid, yes! but i did fix it.

i pushed my finger on the shutter curtain until a gap was big enough to put my figure in the gap. i pushed the curtain to the right until it was completely open. i let go of it quickly and let it close as fast as it would. then i advanced the film and my mirror went back into place. problem solved. thank god... i didn't want to replace the capacitor (especailly since that wasn't the problem.)
i can't garantee that my fix will fix your camera, but it's worth a try.

Henry

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you would have pushed the curtain slightly to the left it would have done the same thing. You see, camera mechanisms are like lined up dominoes. In your case the second curtain didn't fall fast enough to trip the mirror. This is why the mirror was still up.

Henry

Matt

Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got a related question about my own camera. In the case of mine (also an x-700), the first curtain is sticking before it can completely open. It gets up to about 1/4" of the edge, then stops. Obviously this causes the second curtain to fail to close and the mirror to stick up. This happens on every shutter trip. Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

ron

Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably sticky/gunked-up release electromagnets.b

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration