Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fujica AZ-1 shutter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Fujica AZ-1 shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andreas Berg

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently aquiered a lovely Fujica AZ-1 in good condition, except for a small problem: when the camera has been standing with the shutter cocked for a while (a couple of hours), the shutter is hanging on the first shot. For the subsequent shots it's all right.
This camera has an electronic shutter (auto expousure with M42 lenses!), plus mechanical times B, 60, 250 and 1000. When the shutter is set at 60, it functions as on B when it's hanging. For the other times (also on automatic in good light) it gives somthing like 1/15 s.
I have tried to lubricate the shutter bearings, as far as I managed when I remooved the front plate (but without pulling the mirror cage). It didn't help. Does anyone have a sugestion? Or will I need to make a full disasembly?

Stuart Willis

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 07:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The solenoids (electro-magnets) can be found under the baseplate. You can trip them open and closed manually with a toothpick. You must be ultra careful to avoid catching and breaking the hair-fine wires which terminate their coils.

You need to clean the mating surfaces of the magnets. A sliver of photocopy paper between the closed magnets is withdrawn to clean those surfaces. You may need to do this two or three times.

All should then work just fine.
But DO be ultra careful re those fine wires otherwise you will end up with a soldering job which would make a micro-surgeon weep !

The Fujica SLR's are not configured with a modular removeable "pullable" mirror box as complete with all relevant mechanisms (a la most other SLR's) - so don't even think about it !

Andreas Berg

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 01:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you so much! This was really easy, and the camera works just like it should. Wonderful!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration