Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon ftb shutter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon ftb shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Neil Parry

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi - With the 1/1000 speed on my canon ftb only the right hand half is exposed. All other speeds look OK though I haven't yet tested their accuracy. Any suggestions?

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your camera will need a shutter cleaning. The curtains are not traveling evenly, thus creating an uneven exposure.

Jan

Neil Parry

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. I've now checked the shutter with a photomultiplier and storage scope at work and it looks like at least 250 500 and 1000 are too fast. Using a narrow slit light detector, the increase in light as the first curtain comes by never gets to maximum before it starts down again due to the second curtain. It does reach maximum for the longer speeds. It looks like the 2nd curtain is too fast or the first one too slow, though it would be great to see if anyone has posted graphs of what the light profile should look like.

Whatever the reason, it needs fixing - how much do you think a CLA should cost in the UK? Is this something I might take on myself as a project - I just bought this FTb on Ebay along with another one (replacing my own which was stolen many years ago and has been sadly mised ever since) - so the stakes are not particularly high if I make a mistake.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The problem anybody servicing these cameras will have is not the actual shutter job. More than likely that all the foam light sealing under the top plate and around the prism, will have turned to goo. It is the extra time cleaning this off and replacing that pushes up the cost. The film chamber seals will also need doing, but this is an easy job that your can do yourself - see Jon Goodman's instructions in the camera articles (bottom left of screen)and his kits.

The shutter is your basic focal plane job; if you have the appropriate test equipment and have an understanding of the adjustment procedure, you should be able to clean and adjust it yourself.

There is a very good repairman that sells T90 servicing on eBay, he is a trained canon technician and is very good and his prices are Low. I do not know if he does the older Canon kit, his name is Paul Wood and he lives in Hastings.

[email protected]

is his email address, so give him a call if you want it done for you.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration