Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mamiya C220 film advance: skipping fr... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Mamiya C220 film advance: skipping frames... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom Torkelson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought a Mamiya C220 TLR. While shooting a test roll, the film advance crank would keep winding quite a ways further than necessary before stopping. When I processed the roll, only the first 3 exposures were on the roll, each separrated by several unexposed frames.
This is my first 120 camera, and am wondering if possibly I loaded the film improperly (?), or if there's a problem with the stopping mechanism.
Any thoughts?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On certain 6x6 cameras you have to follow a strict loading procedure, otherwise frame spacing will be a problem. I last used a C220 in anger many years ago; I cannot remember taking anything but the usual precautions when loading (keeping film tight), unlike my present Pentacon Six cameras.

Use a roll as a test film, mark the position of the individual frames with a pencil through the front of camera. As stated I cannot remember what, if anything, the manual said about loading. It does seem that a service is called for.

Sorry I cannot be more specific.

Ben

Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This may be a long shot, but are you sure that you have the pressure plate set for 120 rather than 220?

Tom Torkelson

Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for input...
OK, the presure plate is definately set for 120.
Here's what I've got on my test roll: Using a good 120 negative as a spacing guide, there's 3 blank exposures, then a good one, followed by 2 blank exposures, then a good one, then 5-and-a-half blank, then one last good exposure.
This is all I got. I kept shooting until the counter said 12, but only got these first 3. I guess I had no way of knowing that the roll was finished and I was shgooting the last 9 shots onto the pressure plate, sans film.
It seems to me that the camera is letting me wind the crank much further than it needs to go with each actuation. What do you think?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I stand by my original assessment that the body needs a CLA. You can try and get hold of the repair manual to see exactly what needs to be done, this should give you an indication if it is an easy DIY job. The problem could be caused by wear and tear, broken parts or just dirt and lack of lube. Until the internals are examined, all the discussion in the world will not really help you.

You should also replace any foam seals that are not in good condition.

Tom Torkelson

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Glenn. The camera has definately been heavily used, and I'm sure a CLA is in order. I'm off to find a manual and see what I'm getting into.
Thanks.

Andreas Berg

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the C220 behaves like the c330, the problem is probably caused by the shutter release sticking, i.e. not returning before you wind the film. When the release is depressed, you can wind the film right to the end (the camera is designed that way). If so, a simple cleaning and lubrication of the mechanism will help.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration