Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

What's the best solvent to clean came... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » What's the best solvent to clean cameras? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

zia

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought a bunch of camera they are:
2 Brownie bull's eye
2 Hawkeye
1 Brownie Holiday
1 brownie reflex synchro model
What's the best cleaner to use
I can't wait to try them out

WernerJB

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 07:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi zia, it depends on the material (chrome or paint) you are going to clean and whether it is for inside or outside surfaces you are going to clean. For a basic rule I would say: stay away from acetone, as it may very probably harm plastic or painted surfaces.
On the one hand there is a rich coice of hosehold cleaning agents/liquids for windows, glass, plastic, metal, leather, wood; there is lighter fluid, white spirit, vinegar; on the other there are anti-crrosive contact sprays, degreasing cleaners like isopropyl and various thinners, they can all be used (this is to say I use them) but a test is highly recommended, especially with historical cameras, W.

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The cameras that you mention are all made of Bakelite, with glass lenses, so you should not have to worry too much about chemical attack except for the painted graphics. Generally speaking, cigarette lighter fluid gives a very good balance of effectiveness as a cleaner and safety with plastics and paint finishes; however, it will remove some inks so you should be cautious around printing. If you want to have just one chemical, this is the one I would have. Alcohol is also generally safe but less effective, and it still can affect some inks.

Adrian

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have genuine Bakelite, it is chemically about as close to inert as you can get. Acetone will do absolutely nothing to it. However if it is a later plastic, some of these are very dramatically attacked by it. Avoid, unless you are 100% sure you have proper Bakelite and nothing else.

Also be aware that if you go for the cheap option and use nail polish remover it will remove larger oily deposits but is usually cut with oil of some description so that it doesn't dry the nails out. This will remain in your camera as an oily residue, which may defeat the object.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration