Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta X-570 Mirror, Shutter and Win... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Minolta X-570 Mirror, Shutter and Winder Locked Up « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Grant Hagen

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Minolta X-570 that I got "as is" and when I put the batteries in to try it out, it clicked once and locked the mirror in the up position, locked the shutter and the film winder.
The meter is responsive to light if you pull the mirror down manually so that light can get to the sensor.
If you turn the camera off and back on again, a few indicators light up in the viewfinder when I rest a finger on the shutter contact. If I then push the shutter release the indicators go out until I turn it off and on again.
I've seen quite a few X-700's on Ebay with a mirror lock-up problem -- maybe the same thing as this.
Anyone with an opinion of what the problem(s) might be and how involved a fix might be required?

Thankyou!

Grant

Grant Hagen

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since writing the above, I've read that the mechanism might be unstuck by manually pushing the leading edge of the shutter curtain all the way through its excursion. I did this and the curtain snapped back open and released the mirror and film advance lever.
This doesn't help me out a lot, though, since the same thing happens each time I trip the shutter. The curtain goes maybe 97% of the way so that just a few mm of the leading edge is visible at the far end of its excursion.
What can I clean, adjust or replace to allow the shutter to go all the way by itself?
Grant

Ron

Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In order of possibilities: dirty shutter mechanism, dead/gunked-up release electromagnets and/or dead capacitors.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration