Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet GIII QL-17 Meter: shorting? ?? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canonet GIII QL-17 Meter: shorting? ?? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jaz Horsley

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello
I dug out my old GIII and have sent away for Jon Goodman's foam seal for that repair.
Now the meter is next. Camera works fine in all modes except A. Using 675 battery and battery check light shows good. Nothing works on A. Meter needle is steady at the very top of the viewfinder, i.e. in the red above 1.7. Still there when the battery comes out.
Any suggestions on where to start looking?
I've searched the forum for info on this, and didn't find anything. If there's a thread I didn't find, could someone point me to it? Again: thank you.

rick

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're sure the battery is in the right way? i'm not sure if that bulb would still light on reverse voltage, it might. it's impossible to insert a 625 cell backwards, so they might not have any reverse voltage protection in the camera, but you could get a 675 in either way.

There aren't a million places to look, but close - about 2 for every piece of wire in the camera. The usual first place to look would be the connection at the battery box, but not if the battery check lights up. This leaves the connections at the meter cell and at the galvanometer (and the adjust pot behind the galvanometer), and probably some others. It's also possible for the galvanometer bearing to be adjusted too tight and jam the needle, creating the same symptoms.

Jaz

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! I'll check it out.
I inserted the battery using a photo of the GIII from a repair site: positive terminal faced the lense in the photo I saw.

r

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes, that's correct

: ) =

Jaz

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Battery is correctly installed; meter still stuck at the red at the top of the viewfinder.
I've got ten thumbs: where should I start looking for a potential wiring problem? i.e. the most common place for wiring/solder points to fail?

rick

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is not going to be easy. The wiring goes up from the battery in the bottom, to the cell and switch on the front of the shutter, to the meter movement up on top. Chasing this through with ten thumbs may not be fun.....

I'll be happy to email you what sketches I have but they will only give you a hint as to where some of the stuff is located. Figuring out where your problem is will take some work, and actually GETTING to it.... well, that's another thing again.

Jaz Horsley

Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I'll just live without the meter.
My first camera, in high school, was a Leica IIIf. I got pretty good at guessing speeds and apertures with a variety of films and conditions. It will be a good discipline to do that again.
And I have a low level (i.e. "Cheap") light meter to use too.
thanks for your willingness to help. But to go further is to drown.

Robyn Cox

Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check out this link - It may help as well

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-30.html

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration