Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Bought a used Zeiss Tessar lens for m... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Bought a used Zeiss Tessar lens for my Kine Exakta, any thoughts... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently bought a used Zeiss Tessar from a New York photostore on ebay. They have a shop in NY and seemed to be on the level. I wasn't the happiest about buying something I haven't examined by hand, but I've found Zeiss lenses from the 30s-50s to be nearly impossible to find here in DC.

However, I've read a wide range of things on used lenses. The lens I got was about $40 and is the original equipment (even proper vintage it seems) for my old Exakta. I've read a wide range of things about used lenses ranging from leaky oil problems to fungus growing inside. The lens arrives this week and I'm wondering what your thoughts on it are. Should I put it out in the sun in case there is some kind of fungus inside (there isn't suppose to be according to the seller who graded it in "excellent" condition but I don't want to take any chances with something that can spread about)? If so how should I do that? Is there a clean up you recommend when it arrives before I put it on the camera? I figure it may need a slight external cleaning to prep it, right? Any other thoughts on used lenses?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If internal surfaces of optics are reasonably clean, lens focuses smoothly and iris looks clean and works properly - leave well alone and use the thing. Externally I clean the mount with a stiff artists paint brush and use same on the filter threads. I wipe over the exterior with a microfibre duster and carefully clean out any gaps between focus ring/aperture ring and the barrel with a piece of thin card (run corner of visiting card around the gap). It is surprising the amount of dirt that is pushed out.

Mike

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the reply. Any specific telltale signs of wear I should look for in the lens? I'm somewhat new to old cameras.

Michael Linn

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You need to wait unil you receive the lens and have the opportunity to examine it before you ask for help in solving problems you may not have.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 08:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Michael. However I can understand your 'fears'. I have purchased many photographic items off eBay and Dealer's web sites, so I can only offer this advice.

Be very wary of photographs and pay particular attention to the written description. Where there is an item you like 'described' by plenty of pictures and few words, ask specific questions and save the email replies. This will save you problems if item turns out to be a dud. eg A while ago I purchased a FD180/2.8 from a US dealer's eBay shop. Lens had a fault described in writing and the pictures looked good. Lens was sold 'as is no return'. I knew the fault was easily correctable so took a gamble and got it very cheap. On arrival, the fault was as suspected. However on close examination the front element was missing! Pictures did not show this and I got full refund because of the incomplete description. So remember to cover yourself.

Good quality older lenses do not wear out like their modern plastic counterparts. I have many East German Jena optics and even the ones that look as if they have been kicked around the playground, operate smoothly. A re-grease and clean being the only requirement.

Reputable dealers tend to use gradings that a broadly similar, so you soon know what to expect as to cosmetic condition. On eBay I tend to buy from certain Eastern European sellers because I now know and trust their grading systems. The same goes for the photographic outlets I buy from here in UK.

I have four instances when items off eBay have been a cosmetic disappointment. In each case it was one particular lens in a kit. The price and condition of the rest meant that I was very satisfied with the deal. In each instance the rough lens was either used to write up repair instructions ( on unknown equipment I like to practise on a rough one before repairing the mint example) or just passed on to somebody who will use as is.

I do not collect worn looking equipment, however I do use rough looking kit if mechanics and optics are OK. I have some mint Russian 50/60s optics; performance wise they are not up to the really rough examples I use on a regular basis, but guess which look nicer in the display cabinet.

A little bit of dust and stiff focusing does not matter if the lens is for the display shelf, a few knocks and dings are of no consequence in the photographic bag.

Mike

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for advice. It's on its way, when it arrives I'll look it over using this advice. Hopefully it will be fine and have no real problems. I'll post in this topic if there are specific problems after examining it, but hopefully I won't need to. I'm just new to buying equipment for old cameras via ebay, and am a bit uneasy with the fact I can't actually look it over and handle it before buying. But then again I can't find any of this stuff locally, which is a drag. If anyone has any leads on vintage photo/camera stores in Wash. DC, let me know.

Mike

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alright it arrived and is in pretty good shape. However it's quite dusty. Appears to be an uncoated pre war Zeiss F 3.5 5cm tessar. Any suggestions on cleaning the dust (both the mount side and the outside) from the lens? I'm trying to baby it as the glass appears to be in solid shape, even after 70 years. Thanks again.

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blow off loose dust with compressed air or a blower bulb, then gently clean with lens tissue moistened with Windex or alcohol. Don't apply any cleaning liquid directly to the lens.

Use a penlight flashlight to check for fogging or fungus inside the lens. If there is significant internal fogging, the lens will have to be disassembled for internal cleaning.

Mike

Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I'll pick up some air and camera lens cleaning supplies.

I noticed the mirror isn't the cleanest when I took off the lens. Should I clean the mirror (still in camera but now can get at it) while the lens is off? If so what is the best way to do that? Thanks.

Mike

Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cleaned up the outside of the lens, but there's still some fog left inside the lens. Any suggestions on how to get that? I've never taken a lens apart before, myself. Is it an easy job or something I should leave to a pro?

Dennis

Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 07:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Taking lenses apart can be tricky, but not impossible. Take some digital photos as you disassemble so you can keep things in order, and beware of springs that take flight when you remove some parts. Be very careful with the mirror. SLR mirrors, and camera mirrors in general, are front surface mirrors; the silver coating is very delicate and has no protection. I have used one of those little camel's hair brushes with the squeeze bulb to clean them; if there is haze on the surface, I have used a tiny amount of distilled water on a cotton Qtip, and very gently rubbed it. Before using the Qtip, I fray the cotton ball on the end so its a fluffy ball rather than a compressed plug of cotton. Also, before using the distilled water, I've tried using exhaled condensation so it doesn't get too wet in there. Unless there's grime ground in, or grease in there, this has always done it for me. Caution is the word with mirrors, though.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration