Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Woo-Hoo , happy camper here Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Woo-Hoo , happy camper here « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jules

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Folks,
I've been here for a while, but haven’t really contributed. I’ve done work over the years on various optical instruments, from telescopes (as a kid) to telescopes and other optical instruments, while in the service, and now to cameras.

The thing is, I had about a 1952 or 53 Franka Solida III which I loved dearly, sharp as a tack , 400th shutter speed, Compur Rapid shutter, easy to use etc.

Well I dropped it, fool me! It whacked the rear door but nothing else, made it unreliable as the door would swing open at inappropriate times. I searched the net for some time and found a 1947 model that was far more pristine than mine, and bought it for a silly cheap price BUT it only had a 250th speed lens, and a Prontor shutter. The glass seems to be pretty much the same, F 2.9.

Today I got out my spanner, figured out how to do it and swapped the lens/shutter mechanism from the broken body to the older but better one. I then removed the glass from the slower lens/shutter (yes they are burnished lenses which was tough) but I now have a 6x6 astronomical photography body, and a great 6x6 take-around camera!

Now all I need is a great 12 or 14” telescope with a good clock drive and a new camper to transport the rig (I’d settle for a used one).

I’m sure my wife will understand.

Cheers

Jules

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration