Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Problems with olympus om1 meter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Problems with olympus om1 meter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Petros

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi I have an Olympus Om1 modified for the new alcaline batteries. At first I could only use the meter at stop down mode and after a while the needle got stuck in the upper position (over the plus sign). Only for asa 25 do I get some slight response but yet no accuracy. I did the test with the meter off, f8, bulb and asa 1600 and the needle stands over the middle too high to compensate for the difference. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be and if I could fix it. Sorry but this message appears in another conversation too. Thanks for the help.

reborn

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a fresh alcaline cell has a voltage of 1.55 volts but rapidly falls to 1.45 volts, then slowly falls down to 0.9 volts - this might be the problem !
I think you should use silver-oxide cells such as SR-44 these have a far better discharge curve.

rick

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How was it modified? It sounds like there might be something wrong with the circuit, draining the battery. I can't think of any condition where it should be necessary or helpful to meter stopped-down with an OM1.

In any case, as reborn mentioned, alkaline batteries will never give really reliable service regardless of any camera modifications. If it's been modified for 1.5 volts, use silver cells instead of alkalines.

rick

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 05:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One other thing:

At f/8, ASA 1600 and B, the OM1 meter needle centers... with NO battery in it.

petros

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 04:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well the camera was a present so I have the faintest idea of the modification. Anyway I'll try replacing the battery, thank you very much for the help

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration