Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

FED 5 viewfinder problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » FED 5 viewfinder problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a FED 5 that works fine (asside from the usual light leaks). The problem is in the viewfinder window. The viewfinder is too dark on the far right of the window to be usefull in anything less than full sunlight. The focus window is normal brightness.

Is there a way to correct this, or must I replace the canted half mirror?

Rob

Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you taken the top off of the camera? Are the front and rear viewfinder windows clean? The top is easy to remove. Rick Oleson has a nice page that shows how to do it. One word of note. There is a fourth screw holding the top down that is hidden behind the nameplate between the rangefinder windows. If you slip your thumbnail into the viewfinder window and push the nameplate to the film winder side, you can lift it out and see the last screw.

Mike

Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Man, It's been a while since I got back here.
Yes, I've done all of that. Everything has been cleaned, inside and out. The way it looks, it's more like the half mirrored glass has too thick a coating on one half of it (on the right hand side). But, every piece of the viewing system was CLA'd by me.

Howard

Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 01:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mike. I don't own one but I thought the Fed 5 had a prism rather than a half mirrored glass plate. If I'm right I think it is probable that the canada balsam has broken down in the viewfinder prism. It binds the two halves together and if it breaks down turns an opaque brown. If this is the problem you will either need another prism or repair the old one which is fairly complex but can be done. Type "canada balsam" in the Keyword Search on the right hand side of this site.
Regards. Howard

Mike

Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howard, I opened the camera up last night after reading another thread dealing with a Zorki 4. And yes, after further disassembly, I was completely wrong. It is two prisms, put together with canada balsam. So, now I need to get the proper cement, either the same, or the UV curing type. Or, get a junk Fed, and change the prism. I guess it was my Ziorki C that has the mirrors. That one works perfect.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration