Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Voigtlander vitessa film advance Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Voigtlander vitessa film advance « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ed Birch

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi new here, and I hope some one can help me. Last week I was trolling some estate sales, and I came across a really pretty vitessa L for a really cheap price.The people running the sale probably didn't know what they had. I've wanted one of these for a long time to use. Seemed like everything was working, including the light meter,the lens is clear and the combi plunger works fine. But when I got it home and tried to load film I realized that the film advance was not working. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am pretty good with tools, and have done some basic repair work before. Thanks in advance for all responces.

Stuart Willis

Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is my Vitessa article available on this Forum although it does not specifically address your issue.

However - if you remove the camera back to reveal the front panel which contains the frame counter, you will see that such panel is easily removeable. Beneath you will see the entire mechanism by which the film is advanced. The plunger action rotates the gears which are near the camera base.

You should be able to sleuth the problem from there.

Ed Birch

Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Stuart, I couldn't find you article, but I'll keep looking. The panel that I see has 2 screws. One above, and one below the frame counter dial. Is this the one that you told me about? And do I need to be wary of any kind of springs flying about the room? Thanks again.

Stuart Willis

Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No springs will jump out and fly across the room.
There are several types of springs below the panel, however. So lay the camera on its back; remove the two screws and most carefully lift of the panel vertically. Now when you remove the two screws and carefully lift of the front panel. At this point don't touch a thing. Instead look carefully at the positioning of the wire spring which is the fame-counter detent. And look at all other springs, noting their correct positioning.
Make sketches ---- that helps.

It is no big deal. Not a heap big risky business.

Whilst keeping the camera on its back you can fully epress the plunger and watch how it cocks the shutter and advances the film.
Clealy - your film advance gears as toward the base of the camera are not being activated. If you look carfully you will surely see why not.

Vitessa articles can be found on this Forum under Camera Articles>

Ed Birch

Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Stuart, thanks again for the info. Well since today is my day off, I decided to attempt a little exploritory surgery on the Vitessa. It seems that the 2 screws are way to tight to move. I don't want to risk tearing up the heads so I figured I contact you again for advice. The screw driver that I'm using is an exact fit,but the screws just don't want to move. Any ideas? Thanks, Ed

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration