Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Need help with my Leica IIIf Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Need help with my Leica IIIf « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christian

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
I recently bought a very nice IIIF.
Two things are not 100% perfect:
1) the finder is not perfectly clear
2) the meter is not 100% accurate at close distances plus is not perfectly aligned vertically.
Any idea how to open the top cover to clean the Glass inside and adjust the meter?

Any advise/help is appreciated !

regards,
Christian

Henry

Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Meter? You mean an attachable meter?

Henry

rick

Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, he means rangefinder.

The first adjustment for the rangefinder is done by unscrewing the rim of the front rangefinder on the side near the shutter speed dial. Under this, you will see that the window has 2 notches in its rim. You can use these notches to rotate the front window, which is actually a prism to adjust alignment. Rotate this until the VERTICAL alignment is correct.

Now, if you still need to adjust the lateral (distance-measuring) alignment ... (check it first; the lateral position of the image changes when you make the vertical adjustment, which is why you have to do that first), remove the little chrome screw next to the front viewfinder window. Inside its hole you will find the adjustment screw for lateral adjustment of the rangefinder.

Are you saying that the rangefinder is accurate at infinity but not at close distances? Are you certain? The reason that I ask is that it's impossible to observe focus at the film plane in a Leica IIIF without removing the shutter module from the camera body, and I don't know how else you can establish focus accuracy at close distances.

To remove the top cover, you need to remove the wind and rewind knobs, flash shoe, shutter speed dial and a/r lever. be very careful lifting the top cover past the front viewfinder window, you have to sort of stretch it over the window and it's possible to chip the glass.

rick :)=

christian

Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 06:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick !

I will try as per your instructions in the next view days.

Christian

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration