Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Elmar 35mm (3.5cm) disassembly Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Elmar 35mm (3.5cm) disassembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Shriver

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, while I was able to see how to split the focusing mount of my newly acquired Elmar 3.5cm lens, I don't see how to get the lens block out of the focusing tube. It's not in Tomosy's Leica book.

The mount is easy to split. Remove the two guides for the rangefinder coupling ring. Remove the infinity stop. The lens barrel will screw out. Then you can remove the rangefinder ring. I think the "nut" for the focusing helical can also be removed by pulling the one set-screw, and using the spanner holes. There must be different versions with different thread pitches for different focal lengths.

The reason I want to pull the block from the focusing tube is that someone put it in upside down. Focused at infinity the f-stop tab is at the bottom, and "Elmar" is at the top.

I see two set screws on the outside, one inside the front ring, one next to the focusing tab. But loosening each didn't make any change.

I also see that there's an outer spanner ring in the back secured with one set-screw. Is that what's holding it all together?

Also, any idea how this lens is collimated? I'd surely rather not get it out of collimation. I can check that it's OK, but I don't have a precise enough 28.80 mm tube to really collimate accurately.

--

John Shriver
http://john.shriver.home.comcast.net

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration