Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leicaflex SL - problem and questions Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Leicaflex SL - problem and questions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rich Seiter

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I recently purchased a Bowens Illumitran slide copier that included a Leicaflex SL. The camera appears to be in decent shape cosmetically--I suspect it had an easy life permanently attached to a slide copier.

When I received the camera (unfortunately I don't have a lens to test it) the shutter fired fine and the transport lever would wind the shutter (although it failed to increment the film counter). While trying to test functionality I tried the self timer (the rewind release button may have been pressed at this time) and it appeared not to work. The manual says something about the self timer not working if partially turned with the fix being to release the shutter. The self timer lever has no feeling of resistance when it is turned--I don't know if this is normal.

My problem is that now the release button won't release. It depresses, but does not trigger the shutter. Does anyone know what might be happening here or what I can do to fix it? Disassembly of this camera is beyond my skills (and a nice camera is not the place to practice) so I'm hoping for a simple solution.

It also appears that the meter is nonfunctional. There is a 625A battery in the camera which measures 1.5V. When I press the meter test button I can not even see the meter pointer. Is this a typical failure mode?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Rich Seiter

charlie

Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not familiar with Leicaflexes but if you click on instruction manuals on the left here, read how to download free manuals and then scroll to the bottom, and click on comprehensive manual listing and then on the next page click on the category incluing Leica on that page you will find a Leicaflex SL manual available for download. Hope this helps.

Rich Seiter

Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did I miss something? I took a look there and did not see a Leicaflex SL manual. I have an SL manual that is a collection of jpegs and an SL2 manual in PDF from other sources, both of which are helpful, but not quite helpful enough ;-).

Thanks for responding.

charlie

Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 07:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the comprehensive listing, at the bottom of the instruction manual page, GAF-Lubitel, the last one in the Leica listing is the SL.

Rich Seiter

Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Charlie! I hadn't seen the comprehensive listing. It eventually led to the SL manual I already have, but it's a great page to know about for future reference!

The manual makes me think there might be a problem with the self timer--either the functionality or my usage of it. Any other suggestions?

Rich Seiter

Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm psyched--problem solved with no trauma. The problem was the self timer (I guess the lack of resistance on the lever should have been my clue). Many thanks to Douglas Herr for his old post here http://www.leicainfo.com/discus/messages/14021/32390.html which described the problem (lubricants drying out causing the self timer to jam) and the fix (tapping the self timer pivot--quite a lot in my case ;-). Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this and to Charlie for his manual pointer.

Steve Harris

Posted on Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you going to use the Leicaflex on the Bowens Illumitran slide copier? Or, is one or the other excess?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration