Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon 50mm 1.4 and 1.8 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon 50mm 1.4 and 1.8 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ben

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been meaning to buy a 50mm 1.4 for a while, but having a somewhat limited budget, I've put it off.

I was looking at the KEH website earlier today, and discovered that they had a bargain condition FDn 1.4 with a dented filter ring for what I would call an excellent price. I had considered this same lens(at a much higher price, then) back when I bought my T90 in December, but passed at the time. At that time, I used polarizers a lot, but, now that I've discovered Velvia, rarely use any filters any more. This, combined with the lowered price, has made me reconsider. I still would like to have a useable filter ring, though.

KEH also has an "ugly" condition FDn 1.8 for sale for $7, which I assume has an intact filter ring.

I know that on the BL version of the 1.8, the filter ring was held in place with three screws under the name ring, and Rick Oleson's excellent diagrams confirm show this to be the case also on the 1.4 BL.

My question, then, is are the filter rings on the FDn 50mm 1.4 and 1.8 interchangeable? If they are, I am very tempted to buy both of these and swap filter rings, thus ending up with both a very nice 1.4 and a not so nice but still useable 1.8.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Richard Creviston

Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ben have you considered removing the dent? Go to "Utilities" on the left and click keyword search. Henry Taber and others describe simple tools to accomplish this task. I have used these methods on several filter rings with 100% positive results.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ben,

The two rings are different, but only in one detail - the rear 'skirt on the 1.4 ring extends further rearwards than the 1.8 item. This is because the 1.4 lens extends further when close focused. You will thus have a gap between the forward edge of focus ring and rear of filter ring at min focus.

Do you have access to a small lathe? It is possible to combine the rear of the original 1.4 ring with the front of the 1.8 ring and produce a repair that is hardly noticeable. The rings are 'T' rings in original state. By turning damaged filter threads off 1.4 item and the too short skirt off 1.8 item, you produce two handed 'L' rings that can be retained on the lens by the original screws.

Done this a couple of times on filter rings that had split due to poor dent removal techniques. Suitable donor lenses are dirt cheap and when you picked up the damaged lens at a bargain price, the result can produce a good profit if you sell it on.

Glenn

Ben

Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,
Thanks for the response.

I've been eyeing a cheap mini lathe for a while, and it sounds like this may be an excuse to buy it.

At the same time, though, I'm a bit torn over what to do. I checked the website again today, and the price of the damaged lens dropped another $4 today-from $31 to $27. At the same time, though, the price of an intact one in the same condition dropped $4 also-from $41 to $37. As I had originally intended to spend $38($7 for the "ugly" 1.8) for the two lenses, it certainly is tempting to just buy the one with the undamaged filter ring. I love tinkering enough, though, that I'll probably end up buying the two and following your advise.

Thanks again for the help!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration