Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak Retina 1 - setting film counter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Kodak Retina 1 - setting film counter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just obtained a Retina 1 type 148, in a condition that suggests that it has been much loved and used, mostly fairly carefully. I'd give my eye teeth to be so cute and in such good condition at its age!

So far - having yet to complete a film through it - the major flaw is that the catch locking the front shut no longer works. However it closes and stays closed, and has no effect on the camera's functioning, so I'm not going to risk damaging its cuteness and functionality by fiddling with that.

What I AM concerned with (as it means I don't know how much film I've got!) is how to set the film counter. The manual I found covers, I think, a very early model with a lever for advancing the film counter. Mine doesn't have this,so I am unsure how to correctly set the counter. Can anyone else help, please?

Adrian

Adrian

Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Might have found the answer here, actually... Would be handy to have it confirmed, though.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7ESrawhiti/retinauser.html

ADrian

Peter Wallage

Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adrian,

The illustration of the type 148 in Brian Coe's book shows two small pips on the film counter so you can set it after you load a film. I've got the same on one of my Retinas, but I'm not absolutely certain of the type number.

Peter

Adrian

Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 08:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Peter, sounds like I stopped fiddling one move too soon. Makes a nice change, usually it's one step too far!

ADrian

paul ron

Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love these Retinas, they are jewels. If you are interested in buying beautiful Retinas of all ages, check out this person... http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=288236&ck

Susan is selling her late father's very old collection of many different cameras. I checked out a slew of her Retinas and cleaned the shutters... etc adn they are pristine. Send her an e-mail to find out what she has available... [email protected]

Susan just wants to see her father's collection go to good use and is very fair priced. You can definately negotiate with her.

Enjoy your new toy.

Adrian

Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 05:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I were but on the same side of the pond and lived somewhere larger than a single room, I'd be over like a shot!

Given that my other Kodaks have all been No2 Box Brownies and a No2 Cartridge Hawkeye, it's a joy to find something so beautifully made rather than knocked together round a lump of wood.

Now I just need to gain enough photography skills to do it justice...

paul ron

Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enjoy that Retina I, it'll atke beautiful pix, but wait till you get your hands on a Retina II or III, you'll fall in love for the first time all over again. They are just such beautiful cameras adn work so nicely once you learn about their little quirks. Download the manuals and DON'T FORCE ANYTHING! That's what kills em. Be gentile and smart when using it and it'll do justice to you. Amazing the reactions you'll get from people watching you use it.

Enjoy.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration