Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XD-11 speed selecting problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Minolta XD-11 speed selecting problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Simon Eliasson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Minolta XD-11 works fine in A and S mode, but there's some trouble when trying to use M mode. All the speeds are the same (I'm guessing the mechanical 1/100s). So, doesn't matter if I choose 1s or 1/1000s, the speed will still be 1/100.

I'm sure it's just a matter of cleaning something, somewhere. Just wondering if anyone had experience with this problem?

Henry

Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can't think of anything that might make it default to 1/100. But...if it is defaulting to 1/1000, the releasing magnet may need cleaning. In other words, it may not be holding. Short the magnet to see if it holds while shorted.

If the magnet is clean (passed the shorting test) you'll need to measure the voltages at the different speeds.

Henry

Jason Hopper

Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Easiest fault to check on this may be at Switch 11, the printed circuit plate underneath & around the backside of the shutterspeed dial barrel assembly (inside the top cover). The 'M' part, the 4 concentric partial rings at the 7 o'clock position, of this plate's printed circuits may not be allowing good contact. Sometimes you can temporarily clean this plate's (and wipers) contacts by just moving the external M-A-S lever back and forth. A better way is to remove top cover and carefully clean the printed circuit board and wipers.

Simon Eliasson

Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 07:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this something you'd recommend doing? Is it very advanced?

I've taken one camera apart before - a Zenit 3m - but I wasn't able to fix anything, and ended up not getting it together again :)

I have the service manual (30mb PDF), so atleast that's a start I guess.

Jason Hopper

Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try moving the M-A-S lever back and forth several times before taking off the top cover. If there's any change in how manual mode works, then it might be worth it to go further. If there's no change it might not be the wipers & SW11.

Top cover on an XD is simple to remove and replace EXCEPT for number of dadoed spacers under rewind/ASA plate that have to go back in right order and placement, and the two tiny screws that anchor exposure compensation lever's detent ring, a hidden screw behind eyepiece-blind lever, and the spring under the advance lever can be tricky to put in place right. But once just the top cover is off, nothing else needs to be disassembled to clean SW11.

Unfortunately the service manual won't show well enough how all these little bits and pieces go together.

Simon Eliasson

Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 03:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I removed the top cover yesterday to see if there was something obvious. The cover has a buckle in it, just above the Minolta logo on the right hand side of the camera (viewed from the back). This damage wasn't only cosmetical - one of the two variable resistors at the front of the flex circuit was smashed.

In the service manual I found this info regarding the broken variable resistor (Rx7);

"The two variable resistors at the front of the flex circuit, Fig. 69, provice your adjustments for the manual speeds. Rx7 adjusts the constant-current source. With the proper amount of current to the timing circuit, the shutter speeds should be linear.

Set the mode switch to M. Then connect a digital voltmeter between Rx7 and fixed resistor R56 as shown in fig. 69. Depress the release button part way to measure the voltage. You should get a reading of 180mv +-2mv. If not, make the adjustment using Rx7. Turning the wiper of Rx7 in a clockwise direction causes the voltage to increase."

It does seem pretty obvious that this is my problem... Now, is there anyone that know more about this specific component that needs to be replaced? Is it something that I can purchase somewhere? Is it just a standard component?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks Jason for the help so far.

If anyone has a dead Minolta XD-11 body, I'd be glad if I could use some spares. :)

Thanks.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration