Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Schneider Longar 1.4x ~ Help !!! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Schneider Longar 1.4x ~ Help !!! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David J Ismay

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 05:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been sorting through some old kit and found a beauty of a lens which was probably my late fathers. [I can't remember getting it!]
The lens is without any kind of mount and is therefore unlikely to be for Rollei or Kodak.
It has a smooth barrel which suggests perhaps a projection lens?
On the barrel is V- XR.50 -V
Complete with end caps it is in great condition butwhat the H*** can I use it for?
Any suggestions will be carefully considered!
I contacted Schneider with serial no etc but no reply!

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 07:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's probably a lens designed for a movie camera. Before zoom lenses were invented many amateur movie cameras used semi-interchangeable lenses like the Longar.

Longar is a lens name which is used for the semi-interchangeable tele lenses for the Kodak Retina system but I remember faintly that it was used for other tele auxiliary lenses (with different design), too.

Dave

Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, the light at tunnel end begins to glow however I am not very literate when it comes to techy. matters!
Can you shed some more light and explain how a lens can be semi [half?]inter-changeable?
I have studied this beasty again and its shape does not remind me of movie camera lenses I have seen. Those I have owned or played with from Bolex 16 to Pathe 9.5 have always had some sort of focus arrangement e.g. helical screw or rack and pinion which is why I favoured projection which would allow for a simple friction / slide adjustment. If you know the spec of the Schneider Longar perhaps you could let me know and I could then research possible uses. Thanks!

Glenn middleton

Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would suggest that this is a 1.4x focal length converter. Your comment that there is no form of mount or attachment threads is somewhat of a puzzle, unless the thing was inserted into the barrel of the lens it was paired with. The idea of convertible lenses is nearly as old as photography itself

You can buy a modern form of this converter for the Rollei 6000 series auto-focus and it ain't cheap.

Winfried

Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I almost agree that this is some kind of tele converter to be mounted in front of the lens.

Semi-interchangeable lens means that some elements of the lens are mounted on the camera, and only the front element(s) are changed when changing the focal length. This system was in use with many leaf-shutter SLRs. On these some lens elements are between the shutter and the camera body, and to change the lens completely you would have had to change the shutter, too, which would have been quite costly. So some manufacturers designed lenses with the front lens element(s) in a special mount, and you could change the front part of the lens. This system was widely used with the Kodak Retina cameras, and the tele 'lenses' offered for these also had the Longar designator. Anyhow I remember having seen plain tele converters with Longar designator, too.

This tele converter does not need its own focussing mount or helicoid. Focussing is done via moving the base lens as usual. Since most cine cameras had a mirror reflex viewfinder system focussing could be controlled via the viewfinder.

BTW similar tele converters or attachments are widely offered today for digicams.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration