Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax P50 problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Pentax P50 problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Russell Wheeldon

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When used in auto and manual mode, the indicated shutter speed varies but does not exceed 1/8th sec even in bright light. Changing aperture setting doesnt affect the value! Put the camera in either of its programme modes (sport or depth) and shutter speeds and aperture values vary as you would expect. I've cleaned the pins on the body and lens to no avail.
It seems that all is good with the lens on its A setting but something is amiss on user set aperture values. Any ideas appreciated.

Don

Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 05:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't know if it will help but try self cleaning the aperture dial by turning it from min to max aperture a good # of times. Do the same w/the mode dial.

Mike

Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have another lens for it? Maybe try a different one to see if the problem is in the lens or the body.

Russell Wheeldon

Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 02:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Mike and Don, I've tried another lens with the same results and working the aperture dial. I also posted this question on Photo.net and someone has suggested that the problem lies with the 'variable aperture resistor' which is situated inside the camera body between the lens flange and mirror box. See http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00G7Y4
How do you get to this item?

Don

Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have to remove the top & bottom plates & unsolder a # of wires, ( don't know how many as I've only worked on the P3 which is different electronically from the P5). Then peel back the leatherette & remove the front plate screws to get the mirror box out to access the diafram resistor. It's no small job & w/o any repair experience I would'nt advise it. If it works ok in the other 2 modes, then it may be the mode sw. not making good contact @ the auto & manual settings. If thats the case, you probably have some wires to desolder when removing the top. P5 was rather rare & it's similar mechanically to the P3. Suggest you email www.in-fotech.com & get the SPT notes for the P3. They should provide a starting point & eliminate some guesswork. Maybe they have service notes for the P5. In the meantime, the camera is still usable in the program modes.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration