Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yet another Yashica Mat 124G winding ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Yet another Yashica Mat 124G winding problem... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Easy

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 01:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...in fact, this very camera may have already been discussed here; it's been on eBay twice recently that I know of. Anyway, now I'm stuck with it, and I'm not the sort to just "play dumb" and sell it myself.

There seems to be something wrong with, or a piece missing from, the anti-rebound ratchet assembly. Although mine may be a slightly modified design from the commonly available exploded diagrams, going by what I've seen, it seems like something is missing, or the counter change plate spring is attached incorrectly, or ?

In any case, the symptoms are that the crank handle will only go forward (film or no film), occasionally jams completely; only partially depressing the shutter release (as if to wind prematurely to the end of the film) can un-stick it. It has never functioned correctly since I've owned it. Upon opening. I discovered that I could induce some degree of normal operation by winding CW until stop, then manually pulling the anti-rebound ratchet back to wind CCW (shutter was then cocked and could release no problem).

Here's a picture of what I found upon opening:
124G ratchet
I've highlighted the area that seems suspect. I'd thought about opening my old LM to study the difference, but they're probably different enough to be a waste of time, plus I'd lose the leatherette on another side (it's already "faceless").

Any ideas?

Easy

Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 03:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

we'll just try that image upload again...
/image{3rd time's the charm}

Easy

Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 03:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh for pete's sake... it's here:
http://easyonthe.com/pics/124g-ratchet.jpg

me again

Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 04:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

never mind... I obviously have no business being inside one of these things.

it was one ratchet claw inside the main winding gear, sticking.

Everything seems to be fine now.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration