Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta AL focusing ring Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Minolta AL focusing ring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hudson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I just got a Minolta AL in the mail just to find out that the focusing on it doesn't work! The ring feels loose and there is a subtle scraping feel that comes when turning it. Does any one know a simple way to fix this? Thanks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Dvorak

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have one of those in front of me, but check if there are small 'grub' screws around the perimeter of the focusing ring. Those might be loose and not grabbing the helicoid; this would produce a scraping sound you hear.

To fix it - tighten one of the screws and focus the lens to infinity (using the rangefinder). Then, without disturbing the lens helicoid, loosen the grub screw again, re-position the focusing ring to infinity, tighten all the screws and you should be in business.

As another precaution, check to make sure that images are also sharp on the film plane; i.e. one meter on the focusing scale = one meter actual distance = image sharp at film plane (and all other distances of course).

Good luck,

Jan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration