Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon ql17 shutter interlock and focu... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon ql17 shutter interlock and focus oddity « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ken Doody

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 05:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a new-to-me QL17 that meters in Auto OK from about 3' to infinity, but does not meter in Auto closer than that. Also, the shutter interlock to prevent exposures in insufficient light does not work (I'm not sure if that is a problem or an improvement). Has anyone run into this particular gremlin? Thanks.
Ken

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The light meter problem may be caused by a semi-broken wire which stops to have contact as soon as the lens barrel moves outward.

The shutter interlock is one of the over-engineered features of the QL17. It can be adjusted by minor rebending a certain lever which can be accessed by removing the front cover plate underneath the shutter button. But it is almost impossible to remove the leatherette of the QL17 without tearing it, so if you can live without the shutter interlock I would not try to fix it.

Reiner

Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 04:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think there is a missunderstood here. Winfried is referring the double exposure lock which is located according to his description.

The QL17 has also a shutter lock when there is too much or insufficient light. That is the one Ken is referring to. This one is part of the clamping mechanism for the aperture automatic. It is located unter the top cap near the light meter. If you work the camera with the top cap off you should see it working (or not working). If it does not work and the camera features f=16 for too much light and f=1.7 for too few light it should be ok. In this case you should consider it as a feature. You should check that since there are some cameras (the darn Oly 35s) which fully open the aperture when there is too much light, just the opposite.

ken doody

Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 04:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Winfried and Reiner, that is very helpful. And, the auto function does go wide open with not enough light, and closed down with too much. So, an improved QL17!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration