Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta x-300 mirror locked Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Minolta x-300 mirror locked « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 06:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found my dad's minolta, but its mirror shutter is open snd stuck there. Pushing the 'diaphragm control lever' lowers the shutter and of course releasing it the mirror comes back up again. My multimeter says the batteries are good and the red LEDs light up.

There's lots of threads addressing stuck mirrors and shutters on the x-series suggesting the camera should be reset. How do I do that before I go about delving into it and replacing the 220uF cap? I understand Henry knows how to do this!

Can anyone help? Thanks

Henry

Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Henry who?

How to reset cameras was a project article I started way back when and it fizzled. You can read the begining at https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/resetcamera.html

Luckily it covers your camera!

You know how they say the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. It's going to be a smooth ride for me! :-) There are a dozen articles I've started and let die. No energy, no time...no gumption... I seem to find reasons to let things slide these days.

Henry

Paul

Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 07:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the post and link Henry!

Yes... I was wondering how to do that!

Paul

Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've reset it and the frame counter says "s", but the mirror doesn't drop down.

Are there any more steps that can be taken? (I guess replacing that cap is the next best option...)

Paul

Henry

Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the mirror come down during the resetting process? It should. If not, check if the seal material may be sticking it. New capacitors won't help it if the mirror never comes down.

Try manually holding the mirror down as you reset.

Henry

Paul

Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah...the mirror didn't come down when I reset it. I'll try doing the above.

Paul

Leslie Stark

Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Henry is the man!!! I read how to "reset" in another thread, but couldn't do it without the picture. I'm working again! Thanks

A Fan

Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Henry is the man!" How true Leslie, how true. Don't want it to go to his head though.

Q. Henry versus Godzilla? A. Henry

Q. Henry versus Manchester United? A. Henry (by a penalty kick)

Thanks.

Henry

Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Too late. It already went to my head.

"Stronger than curtain tension on a M Leica...Faster than 1/1200 on a freshly lubed Contax...Able to leap tall Rolleiflexes in a single bound..."

:-)

Glad I could help.

Henry

jenni

Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a x9 and the lever that changes it to the next pic. isnt working what can i do??? please help going on a trip real soon want to take the camera. thanks a bunch

Henry

Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Assuming you mean the wind lever is locked and you cannot advance the film. The cause of this is the internal sequence of events that is supposed to happen when you push the shutter button has not been fully realized. Something went "tick" and something else didn't go "tock".

First reset the camera as explained in the above article. If that doesn't fix it...tell us more about what is wrong.

Henry

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration