Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rollei SL35E problem. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Rollei SL35E problem. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dimitri

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 01:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I tried this on two cameras (same make) and both have the same problem. One is chrome the other is black. The black body is in like-new condition and I just put a brand new battery in it. When I turn it on the battery checks ok. However, when I wind and fire the shutter stays open for a long time, although the mirror stays down. If I gently push it up with my fingernail (from underneath) it goes up and closes the cycle. What do I need to check? I am prepared to take the top of the camera off and clean the gunked up oil that I hear could be the problem.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hande

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've recently purchased four(!) SL35E's over ebay.
All sold as non-working. Only one has an electric
problem I can't fix. Exposure times longer than 1/2 sec. do not work, the shutter stays open indefinitely, or untill I turn the speed dial to X or B, shutting out the current feed. The other three had problems similar to what you described. These were fixed with cleaning and very carefull oiling. Open the bottom of the camera, remove the (film)back. What I did was to very carefully spray a small amount of rust remover (a light oil would do as well) into the mirror mechanism through the crescent-shape slit on the mirror housing wall, the opening through which the mirror actuating arm
goes. Then I blew compressed air through the same opening to remove all excess oil (the camera base-
plate removed, mirror up (B)). Be carefull not to get oil on the focusing screen or the shutter, allthough both can easily be cleaned: the screen is removable and the shutter can be cleaned in situ by lightly brushing gasoline on the blades and then blowing them gently dry with compressed air. You might have to clean the shutter once or twice after the above treatment, if excess oil is left in the mechanics and it slowly finds it's way onto the shutter blades. Looking at the camera mechanics under the base plate will give you an understanding on the workings and the possible adjustments. Undr the top cover of the camera there is mostly electronics, the faults are mostly
mechanic; dirt, gummed-up lubricants and can be
fixed throught the bottom of the camera.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration