Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Lubricating a Konica Auto S2 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Lubricating a Konica Auto S2 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Don

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 07:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I've got the shutter and self timer all cleaned up. Soaked and flushed with Ronsonal. Everything is clean but dry. What do I lubricate in these mechanisms and what do I use for a lubricant. I also cleaned the helicoid. Is there a particular lubricant I need to use for that? Thanks everyone for a great site and the extra help a few have given me.

Don

Roy Randall

Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Don.
Might be able to help you on this one. Most people seem to use graphite on the shutter leaves, but to be honest I've never tried it as the wrecks that I tend to buy usually require a full strip, then I lubricate pivots with a VERY SMALL drop of oil. With the helicoid I've found that Mintex CERA TEC grease is marvelous. It's for use on car brakes, so it is heat resistant and doesn't migrate everywhere if you leave the camera on the car's parcel shelf etc. It does a nice job of smoothing a slack helicoid and it's available in small tubes. Also it has no nasty effects on plastics. The Ricoh Mate that I'm currently working on seems to have been lubricated with Super glue, it's gone so solid, but CERA TEC does not seem to suffer in this manner.
Hope this is of some help.
Roy.

Don

Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Roy, thanks for the tip. Sounds like a good lube to use, something that won't change states and stay where you put it. As for oil, do you use watch oil or maybe gun oil. I have some in a small tube with a hyperdermic type needle, but have no idea what kind of oil it is. Thanks again.

Don

Roy Randall

Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 04:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Don,
I live in the wilds of west Wales and there are more gunsmiths than clock makers around here so I use gun oil. I will probably cause mass heart attacks by telling you that I have also tried sewing machine oil and, so far, three months down the line, it seems to stay put. After all, some parts of sewing machines move at high speed and must not throw the oil around.
After a life time in engineering, where I built or repaired everything from marine diesels to flight instrumentation, my experience is that excessive lubrication is more likely to be a problem than the wrong oil. A small quantity of oil may well stay on a rocking or rotating shaft, but if it gets on to a lever, for example the deceleration forces can then cause it to 'throw'. After all Don, some parts of shutters stop damned quick. I do not use a hyperdermic as I find that quite a large drop can form on the end unless the needle is in contact with the part you want to oil, then you can't always be certain of the amount transferred. I use a small paint brush with all bar one bristle removed, this gives me total control of the quantity and pin-point accuracy.
On helicoids I use a sewing needle to put two or three stips along the length of the thread then wipe round with a tissue, this removes any surplus and helps spread it around the thread. Next I assemble the helicoid then strip it again and remove any grease that has pushed off the end of the threads
There may be many other, even better, methods, but this seems to work for me.
Hope this helps.
Roy.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration