Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashinon DX vs. DS Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Yashinon DX vs. DS « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sergio La Marca

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 01:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I've acquired a near mint Yashica TL-Super. I noticed the 50mm Yashinon DS-M 1:1.7 doesn't focus on infinity and after a bit of research I discovered that the TL-Super normally came with a DX lens. May this be th cause of the problem and may I try to correct it? If not, will any other M42 lens focus correctly, and which brand (takumar, mamiya, etc...)?
Thanks to all
Sergio La Marca
Italy

Alex

Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 03:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have both of these lenses, a 50/1.7 DS-M, and a 50/1.4 DX. The DX is heavier in construction and the older lens, whereas the DS-M is newer, more compact, and multi-coated. I have only just acquired the DX so I have not had a chance to put some film through the camera, but both lenses fit well and both focus to infinity and accurately to distances in between, so the problem you have is not because your lens is the DS-M, as mine does work just fine. It may be that problem is that the mirror on your camera has slipped out of alignment, in which case you will have the same focussing difficulty with other M42 lenses. I use a variety of M42 lenses on my Yashica TL-Electro-X with no problem, including CZ Jena and Takumar lenses as well as other Yashinons.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sergio,

All M42 lenses should focus to infinity on all M42 mount cameras. The mounts and the lens flange to film distance are identical on all of them.

A simple trial with various M42 bodies and lenses should point out whether the problem lies in the lens or in the body.

Good luck,

Jan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration