Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax spotmatic timer lever stuck down Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Pentax spotmatic timer lever stuck down « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Shannon Luk

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The timer lever on my spotmatic is permantly stuck down and not in its "resting" or "beginning" position. Is there any way to fix this so that the timer can work again or will I have to take it to a profressional repair place?

M Currie

Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The self timer in these older cameras is essentially like a little wind up clock, and like a clock it eventually can stop owing to age and lack of lubrication. Unless you're willing to open up the camera, it's probably a job for the pros.

I've never done a Pentax, but on the old Nikon F, the self timer is a self-contained unit, and it can be removed easily if you peel off the leatherette that surrounds it to reveal the screws. I'm betting that yours is fairly similar. If you're adventurous and willing to try camera repair you might be able to get it out. Often a little ronsonol lighter fluid or the like will be enough to wake it up. You might do a search on this forum, and on Google, to see if a repair manual for the Spotmatic is available.

rick

Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Pentaxes are, if possible, even easier .... remove the self timer hub, peel back the front leather and remove 4 screws and the whole front panel just lifts right off. Then the self timer gears are sitting there looking at you, and a drop or two of lighter fluid will usually start it running.

Look here for a sketch: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-113.html

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration