Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Bessamatic shoots prematurely. No fun. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Bessamatic shoots prematurely. No fun. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tim Hinchliffe

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It fires as the wind-lever completes its travel. On top of which, the iris opens as the wind-lever is turned. I've read of similar faults on a Retina reflex. I know the mounts have similarities, but I didn't think they had much else in common.
The shutter firing early, I can picture as a worn part of the cocking mechanism, fair enough, but what's the deal with the aperture blades ?
BTW, I gather this is not a camera for the faint-hearted to go rootling around inside.

Stuart Willis

Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The iris aperture is supposed to open when the shutter is cocked. This in order that you view at full aperture brightness.
It closes to the preselected F Stop as the very first action prior to the actual shutter operating. So in this respect your Bessamatic is doing it right.

That the shutter is not latching upon completion of the cocking action, is altogether another matter. The Bessamatic - along with similar leaf-shuttered SLR's such as Contaflex and Retina Reflex, is a complicated sequential mechnism. Unless you're experienced in camera work and particularly so with the Bessamatic model - you wouldn't have a prayer of fixing it.

It is still a fine quality camera though - and depending upon your enthusiasm andf finances, might justify attention of a Pro' Techie who knows what he is about. In fact - this is your only practical option, I'm afraid.

Best

Stuart Willis

Stuart Willis

Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 07:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The iris aperture is supposed to open when the shutter is cocked. This in order that you view at full aperture brightness.
It closes to the preselected F Stop as the very first action prior to the actual shutter operating. So in this respect your Bessamatic is doing it right.

That the shutter is not latching upon completion of the cocking action, is altogether another matter. The Bessamatic - along with similar leaf-shuttered SLR's such as Contaflex and Retina Reflex, is a complicated sequential mechnism. Unless you're experienced in camera work and particularly so with the Bessamatic model - you wouldn't have a prayer of fixing it.

It is still a fine quality camera though - and depending upon your enthusiasm andf finances, might justify attention of a Pro' Techie who knows what he is about. In fact - this is your only practical option, I'm afraid.

Best

Stuart Willis

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration