Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Q: Leica Summaron & Summaron goggles.... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Q: Leica Summaron & Summaron goggles. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CJ

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I'm interested in buying a 35mm Leitz Summaron. I'm only in the research stages, but I've read conflicting stuff thus far:

My original understanding was that the goggles can be removed and replaced at will. That is, if you've no intention in shooting close-up for the day, you can use the lens as a normal 35mm.

However, I came across some text somewhere that states that the lens will be damaged if the goggles are removed. Huh?

Can any 35mm Summaron owners clue me in?

Thanks,

- CJ

charlie

Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a recent thread on the photonet website leica forum thatsays the rangefinder may not focus correctly at any distance other than infinity when the goggles are removed. I asume you can always focus using the scale.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If this is the f3.5 version then you can unscrew the specs at will. The f2.8 does not have 'in the field' removable specs - screwdriver job.

Using without specs equals damage - Load of crap! You see lenses for sale that have lost specs and also quite a few specs for sale. The M3 to M4 update with logical removal of redundant specs was very common. Over years specs get mislaid, thus when M4 plus lenses sold, you have a spec-less 35mm lens. Seen plenty on eBay and in dealers.

However note that all versions of this lens are likely to be encountered with internal fogging. This has nothing to do with migration of lube from helical, but rather moisture attacking the surface of some internal optical elements. In 50s/60s some of the best Leitz optical glass was very sensitive to moisture attack over a period of time. Some Leitz lenses from 50s/60s do not age as well as Canon and Nikon glass from that era, these companies used less sensitive glasses.

When buying Leitz lenses from the above period always shine a small torch through from both front and back - you may get a very unpleasant surprise. On a personal note; if I was in the market for a 35mm M fit lens, the Summaron would not be on my shopping list

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NOTE.

On the Summaron all the specs do is provide the correct field of view in the viewfinder of the M3. The spec over the rangefinder window corrects the magnification/parallax situation because of the chunk of glass in-front of viewfinder.

Therefore it is framing problems with M3, not focus problems. Remove specs and lens will work perfectly on any M model with 35mm frame in finder. Rangefinder ramp/cam on spec or non-spec version are just the same, so to talk of rangefinder not working is just plain stupid.

The Summaron is not a dual scale/close focus lens, where the attachment of specs alters position of cam on lens to allow the rangefinder to work at the close distance range.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 08:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The other issue with the 'spectacled' 35mm lenses will be that they will key in the 50mm frame. This is because the M3, which the lens was designed for, did not have an in-camera 35mm frame. The spectacles widened the field of the 50mm lens, thus providing 35mm view.

You can modify the finder frame actuating cam on the lens by filing it back a little, unless the previous owner has not performed the operation already.

Good luck

Jan

Glenn middleton

Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As is well known; the M3 rangefinder is of different/superior construction to that fitted in M2 and subsequent modifications for later M models. Confusion arises when comparing the actual mechanical focus range of the 28/35mm lens and the coupled focus range of rangefinder.

From memory, the coupled range of the 35mm lenses when fitted to M3 is approx 26 inches to infinity. If same lens is used on other M models range is approx 40 inches to infinity. Confusion reigns when you use the 28mm Elmarit on M3 and M2 etc. This lens when on the M2 has a coupled range of 26 inches to infinity, but on the M3 the coupled range is 40 inches to infinity - the lens will mechanically focus down to 26 inches, but you need a tape measure.

Find a Leitz catalogue from the period when these bodies and lenses were current and you will find various notes explaining all the compatibility problems. However Jan mentions the important fact - the wide-angle lens specs modify the 50mm frame and the lens mount will install this frame unless it has been modified.

CJ

Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 09:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for the wealth of information!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration