Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OM-2 spot/program - Won't fir... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Olympus OM-2 spot/program - Won't fire with batteries « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob Shaffer

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OM2 manual advance lever is cocked and will not fire (new batteries). Use of B or 60 does not work. Mirror is DOWN in this case. Viewfinder indications are present and respond to light level changes. Maybe someone has a suggestion - TIA

rick

Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If B and 60 don't work, batteries have nothing to do with it - you must have something mechanically jammed.

Olympfix

Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick is right-Usual fault on these is interlock lever not releasing due to gummy lube. Remove base, look at spring loaded levers at bottom of wind lever side, put a couple of drops of Shellite on bushing, wiggle them back and forward, don't flood anything-should free out and be good for next twenty years. They're good cameras.

Bob

Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 05:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys - will try your suggestions and see if it works - I was thinking along the same lines that mechanically the camera was jammed - but I'm not too familiar with this type of camera. Let you know how things came out.

Bob

Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Finally got the camera to release the shutter - using a OM-PC as an example (very similar mechanism) determined that the charge cam assembly (motor winder drive) and transport gear unit was bound up. The camera would then charge with the manual lever and shutter would release several times - However the camera would still every once in a while bind up. To release had to move the film advance spool inside the camera and/or the charge cam just a little then recharge the camera with the manual lever. Have to investigate if there is any adjustments or lube points to correct. Some of the info I have is confusing or difficult to determine just what they are talking about. Not sure what interlock lever you were talking about - if you have a part number on the exploded view (if you have it) it would be surely appreciated. Meanwhile I'll keep investigating.

Thanks Bob

ken

Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 04:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob

I'm not sure if your comment about the part no means that you need the diagrams. Following link contains the service manuals etc.

Good luck

{http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/olympus_hw_full.html,http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/olympus_hw_full.html}

Ken

ken

Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 05:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob

I don't know what happened to the link in my previous message

It should be

http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/olympus_hw_full.html

N.B The characters before and after "full" are underscores _

Ken

Bpb

Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Ken

I have most of these as far as cameras are concerned. Just have to dig through them and learn a little more about them - finding all the correct lube points, any adjustments, etc. It does help to have another camera with the same mechanism so you can see how it responds. I had the above site but it only had a partial amount of cameras (adding olympus_hw_full.html gave them all).

I do have the breakdown of the different cameras - it just the parts list have lever "M" or Lever 1 so if the part number was listed then I would know which one is involved. The SPT articles was the one that I used for my descriptions above. It is just that they are more geared to the electronic ends of the camera. Anyway just have to learn a little more about them.

Thanks again Bob

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration