Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A-1, one more with light meter ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon A-1, one more with light meter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sergey Ilyin

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 05:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello! I found an interesting discussion in the Archives https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/674/5420.html , but I post my reply in that archived topic.

Sorry if I violate any rules, but can I repeat my question once again here?

I have the A-1, also with metering problems. All shots are underexposed on about 2EV (hopefully, this still can be compensated with Exposure Compensation Lever).

I think this is not 'The White Crystals Problem' -- this crystals must prevent the light to go to SBC and lead to overexposed shots. Is there any other explanations of my problem or it is just mis-regulation of lightmeter electronics?

Thank you in advance, Sergey Ilyin

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It may be worth remembering that the A1 metering system can be misled by large expanses of brightish sky or similar large areas of reflected brightness. I mention this because underexposure of foreground/shadow areas of around 2EV can be typical, unless you make a conscious effort to separately meter the foreground or other important areas.

Get yourself an 18% grey card and an exposure meter of known accuracy. Using either artificial light or a clear, bright midday sky, check the camera metering system. You may find all is OK, but on the other-hand the metering system may need adjustment.

If the meter is out and the error is constant I would compensate using the exposure compensation facility or by altering ASA of film.

As for the 'White Deposit'; I have only come across this once. The A1 that exhibits the problem is in very bad condition shutter wise but the meter remains 100% accurate. As nobody else has mentioned the problem, I have not investigated what the substance is - especially as from what I have seen, it does not cause a problem.

Sergey Ilyin

Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 01:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course, I check the camera with a card of constant brightness (in fact, due to lack of 18% gray card, it was the wall of my room). I compare meterings with my EOS 33 and my Sverdlovsk-4 (soviet lightmeter). Problem really exists and exists with all of my lenses :(

As far as I can see the metering error is constant in wide range of brightnesses. So I think I try 'to live with it' and compensate this error with ASA setting or exposure compensation. All other functions of camera works fine and cosmetic conditions are perfect -- I am afraid that I occasionally break something else while adjusting the meter.

Thank you for reply.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration