Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Hi-Matic E film advance problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Minolta Hi-Matic E film advance problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello forum,

Thanks to this wonderful forum, I have been able to repair a number of my "old" cameras so that I can use them again (Rollei B35, Petri Color35, Kodak Retina 1a, others)

My current project is my Minolta Hi-Matic E. I really like the lens on this camera, so am anxious to get it working again.

The problem involves the sprocket roller of the film advance. Under the tension of film winding, it tends to stay in place, resulting in no advancement of the film. I read somewhere that this is relatively common in cameras in general, and that the typical cure is replacing the sprocket roller.

So my questions are: 1) How much work (disassembly) am I looking at to get at this roller? I know it varies from camera to camera, and I'm hoping the Hi-matic E has an easily accessed roller. 2) Are replacement rollers available? Can I order one from Minolta or will I have to search out a parts camera? 3) Is it possible to repair the current roller? I have heard of amazing repairs done with epoxy and/or superglue. Might I be able to reconstruct the worn portion of my roller? Any thoughts or successes out there?

Jeff

WernerJB

Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 04:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again, Jeff. I agree, the Hi-M E is certainly a good camera, although I think that the older mechanical Hi-Matics are somewhat better - in any respect (feel, sturdiness, reliability, optics, and, what counts most, very few plastic parts).
I do not know answers to all of your questions, but foget about Minolta as a parts supplier, they have recently gone out of business for good.
Hi-M E's can be had for relatively little money, so you can either buy one for spares or ... (in some cases I found these parts donor cameras better than the one I was going to repair, so with a bit of luck ...), W.

tutu

Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 06:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI, I HAVE A MINOLTA X700 WITH PROBLEMS ADVANCING THE FILM.IT SEEMS THE THING IS STOCK. DO YOU THINK LUBRICATION CAN MAKE IT WORK AGAIN? And What type of lubricant?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration