Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kine Exakta trouble Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Kine Exakta trouble « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike R.

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alright this one is a bit of an odd one. I shot a role of regular black and white 36 shot on the old Exakta. Everything seemed okay-it loaded alright, the counter kept accurate count, shutter released, lens worked, and it seemed to wind back up normally. I take the film to be developed and nothing comes out! Well to be more precise something came out but not much. There is the leader, then the first few shots on the negative are weird- they have lines through them and no real elements of any of the exposures I took. The other thing is they don't seem to really be spaced out normally on the negative strip. Normally I know there are the lines between each shot, but here that doesn't seem to be the case. After these few blobby and liney images on the negative comes a stretch of pure blackness (over exposed or something?). After the stretch of pure blackness ther est of the negative roll is transparent (not used at all?). Most of the roll is transparent, except for the blobby attempted-shots and the black set. Anyone know what this might be? I think the film was about a year old and was Kodak black and white (I don't think that's too old).

Someone I asked said it might be a stuck shutter. But what I did a little while ago was to open the camera's back and put the speed on manual. I hit the button once and the black cloth curtain went by and made an opening through to the lens. When I hit the button again the second curtain came by and blocked it out again. I wound it up and the curtains went by together blocking the opening hte whole time. I then tried a speed setting and (I think) one curtain went by quickly, the opening shot by, then the other curtain blocked out again. (Would that disprove the stuck shutter?)

Thanks for the help.

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like a film advance problem. Take a scrap film roll and run it through the camera with the back open. The film should advance by eight sprocket holes each timet he lever is wound. Note that if your rewind button is stuck, this will prevent the film from advancing properly, so check this too.

Mike R.

Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the thought there, Haig. I think you're onto something. I noticed the take up spool has a slot that has to engage the winder mechanism. Unless the spool is perfectly engaged: the shutter shoots, the winder winds, but the spool doesn't go anywhere because it isn't engaged to the winder via the slot. Perhaps when I loaded the camera I wasn't careful to make sure the spool was engaged and it just sat in one place even though everything else seemed to be working. I hope that solves my issue as it's the only film camera I own, so I'd be camera-less for a period (and probably would be a little costly to repair).

Peter Wallage

Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 03:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you're probably right, Mike.
On the Kine Exakta you'll notice that the key at the bottom of the camera on the left - the take-up side - has a small spring to keep it in. If the key is sticking in the base of the camera this spring sometimes fails to keep the key in and lets the take-up spool drop down enough to disengage the slot at the top from the wind key. If this happens the spool won't go round when you wind on. Make sure the spool is fully engaged and that the key at the bottom is fully in, and wind on one frame with your finger on the film at the spool to make sure it's transporting properly before you put the camera's back on.

Peter

Mike R.

Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, so a little care is probably the best fix for it.

An aside question for the Exakta experts out there: is the hole in the back flap of the hood accurate as an eye-level viewer? I've only used the glass (and sometimes the magnifying attachment) thusfar and haven't used that rectangular hole cut in the back hood flap. Is that a reliable finder or is it better to stick to the glass under the hood?

Clive Pearson

Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ive got an Exakta Varex IIA, 35mm camera, absolutely mint but the shutter sometimes sticks - opens OK, but reluctant closing blind, sticks, then moves slowly, then shuts.
I want to buy a Service/Maintenance Manual, so that I can do whatever, e.g. lubricate. As I'm currently buying Exakta cameras and aim to set up an internet shop for Classic Cameras, I need the information either to buy or on loan.
I live in South Australia.

Peter Wallage

Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 07:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Clive,

Sorry to be a long time replying, I've just caught up with your posting.

I have copies of the Ihagee factory service manuals (Reparaturanweisung) for the Varex, Varex IIb and VX 1000.

Also for the Exa, Exa I, Ia, II, IIa, IIb and 500.

I also have permission to reprint them.

Only point is, they are in German. The only one which has been translated into English is the Varex IIb. You would need to be able to read the text of the others because although there are diagrams, these are not enough in themselves.

The manuals assume a certain basic ability in camera repair, they were written for technicians from Ihagee agents who attended the factory on training courses.

I haven't yet put them on my Reprints website, but they're scanned in and ready to print. If you're interested drop me an email off-forum and I'll put them on my website. You can take it, or not, from there.

Peter Wallage

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration