Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vitomatic IIa rangefinder inop. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Vitomatic IIa rangefinder inop. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Benny Stevens

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 06:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, The rangefinder of my recently acquired Voigtlander Vitomatic IIa does not work. When I turn the distance ring on the lens, the yellow patches in the VF do not move. Can I repair something by removing the camera top (3 screws, right?) or is it more likely something with the linkage inside the lens barrel? (which seems very hard to take apart - I'm not a great camera repairer...) Thanks for any ideas or tips. BENNY.

Benny Stevens

Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I managed to take the top off and clean the meter windows because apparently rain had penetrated in the past and let rusty stains all over. The RF ass'y just needed a lube and a gentle push forward and is now working! I need to calibrate the RF at the inf. setting though. Does anyone know which screw to turn please? Thx.

M Currie

Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's been a while since I was inside a voigtlander, but I recall that if you look at the to of the mechanism, there's a flat piece that crosses at an angle, and in it you will see two screws, and two triangular slots next to them. Adjustments are made by loosening the screws a bit and then gently turning a flat-bladed screwdriver in the corresponding slot. What I'm afraid I don't remember is which screw you need to use for infinity.

There's another screw with a spring on it, further down. I think that one does the vertical alignment or some other adjustment, not what you want, so leave it alone.

James

Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought a Vitto IIa and the rangefinder does not work, when you turn the focus ring the lens does move back and forth. However no movement in the viewfinder. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Howard

Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi James. The Vito IIA is a very nice little camera, but it does not have a rangefinder. You need to estimate the distance and then set that distance on focus ring.
Good shooting.

James

Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought it did have a rangefinder because when you look through the viewfinder you do get two separate images just like other rangefinders.

James

Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey just did the same thing that Benny did and the Rangefinder is working just fine. May need some calibration but hey it's old and close is better than nothing.

Howard

Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

James, here a link that may help http://www.marriottworld.com/vito_cameras/vito11a.htm

benny stevens

Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 01:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

M Currie, thanks for the tip. I will take off the camera top again and see if I can find those screws.

Howard

Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 08:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Silly me. I assumed when you said a Vitto IIa you meant a Vito IIa. Just goes to show, one should never assume.

James

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Howard I meant a Vittomatic IIa. I was unaware that they also made a Vito IIa. My mistake. But if anyone has any tips on calibrating the rangefinder on the Vittomatic IIa that would be awesome.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration