Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus XA 2 Exposure Counter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Olympus XA 2 Exposure Counter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joshua

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought an Olympus XA 2 and restored all the seals. It works great but the exposure counter sticks at 16. Is this something I can fix myself?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

M Currie

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You probably can fix this. If you go to the repair manuals link on this site you'll find a link to the XA repair manual, which should help with case disassembly, which is the same in the XA2.

The frame counter is part of a little module that can be removed easily once you get the top off. You can then hold it in your hand, study it and operate it. It's a pretty simple mechanism, with two pawls. One holds the ratcheting counter when the lid is shut, and lets go when you open it, whereupon a spring returns it to zero. The other advances the counter with each rotation of the winder. I'm not sure what would cause it to stop at 16, but I imagine you'll find out quickly enough when you have the part in your hand. Perhaps a piece of junk in the teeth of the counter or a bad tooth, or perhaps the advancing pawl just needs to be bent in a little bit.

Before you get too deep, if this problem occurred only after you replaced the seals, it's possible that the seals are preventing the back from pushing the release tab far enough in, though I'm not sure why it would stop at 16 then. If you open the back, you'll see, near in the upper right, a little silver tab in a slot. The back door edge pushes that tab when it closes. Make sure that it is not obstructed, bent, etc.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration