Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus Om-2n meter adjustment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Olympus Om-2n meter adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Berk Sirman

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

I have just acquired an Olympus om2n in good shape and I am running a test roll today. I do not have any results yet but I am suspecting the light meter is a little off, and the camera will end up overexposing a full stop. I have compared readings with my Gossen meter as well as two Spotmatics that have been recently tested with high contrast slide films and delivered good results.

On the Olympus, the manual reading and AE reading is the same. Also, when in AE mode it reads 1/2 sec. in viewfinder, the camera actually exposes for 1/2 sec. So there is no disagreement between the meter reading in viewfinder and actual off the film reading. So I am guessing the meter can be corrected if there is an adjustment under the ASA dial or something without too much trouble. But since I have almost zero experience with these cameras I do not know. Is there a way of
quick adjustment of the meter on Om2n?

Naturally before I adjust anything I will wait for the slides to come back.

Thanks in advance,

Berk

Wim Abbeloos

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you using the correct battery? They use a no longer available 1.35V battery. If I'm not mistaken the meter will be off if you use a 1.5V battery.

Berk Sirman

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's the OM1 that uses 1.35V battery, not OM2n.

malcolm halliday

Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi,I have a om-1 ( very simular in design to the om-2) which seems to over- exspose by a few stops or so,both on the aperature and shutter speed when aimed at brighter light situations,(even directly at a 100 watt light bulb)is it possible that it could be the spring, that is attached to the string, which is attached to the aperture and shutter rings,and that this is possibly streched,as it seems an easier repair than changing the resisters in the meter circuit,any help would be gratefully recieved,as I'm totally new to this repair buisness and would appreciate some guidence.

thanks malcolm

Olympfix

Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 06:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The light meter in an OM2 has no effect on the exposure in Auto, and only indicates the approx speed it'll go off at.The exposure is controlled by an off-the filmplane system which is independent.(the camera can operate even if the meter is dead)In Manual, the meter indicates the exposure as in an OM1.Meter can be tweaked by the cam on the top of the meter-loosen the lock screw and turn. No major hassles taking the top off-don't lose the compression spring for the door latch.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration